Scherwiller is located 50 km south of Strasbourg, 20 km from the border with Germany, and 450 km east of Paris. The village nestles at the junction of the valleys of Sainte Marie aux Mines and Villé, on the site of a major battle fought during the Peasant War.
The Frey-Sohler estate has evolved through several generations, all intimately linked with the village and the wines of Alsace. Currently occupying 29 hectares, the estate is run by Damien and Nicolas SOHLER. It is included within the « Scherwiller » Appellation Communale, and runs across the rocky slopes of the Rittersberg, at the foot of the imposing Château de l’Ortenbourg, which looks down upon these magnificent vineyards.
The Frey-Sohler estate is the sole distributor of wines from the vineyard belonging to the Sohler family.
(hill of the knights): shallow, granite soil, where the wine must struggle to thrive, producing a dignified wine with a salty, mineral character.
Another granite soil, with a deeper subsoil resulting in intense, fruity aromas.
This Appellation Communale (one of a small number) may only be used for wine made from the Riesling grape. This is a precocious soil – alluvial, light, hot, dry, with a filtering effect – which gives the wine a nutmeg fragrance with a hint of lemon flavour in the mouth.
Scene of the Peasant War in 1525, when the peasants who rose up against the Duke of Lorraine were slaughtered. Another dry soil which sets off the specific aromas of the individual grape varieties, home to the estate’s old parcels of Gewurztraminer, and provider of the grapes for most of our renowned Crémant Riesling.
The medieval city of Dambach-la-Ville nestles at the foot of the frankstein slopes. The soil is remarkably uniform. At between 220 and 330 meters altitude its east and south-east facing slopes soak up the sunshine, from the very earliest raus of the morning. Its soil iscomposed of well-drained granite-mica scree which filters water and retains heat well. By then Middle ages the Frankstein’s reputation extended beyond Dambach-la-Ville itself. Numerous estates, dioceses and abbeys proudly owned vineyards here, for example in 1320 the Unterlinden abbey of Colmar and the Diocese of Strasbourg. The first July 2008 is the date on which the very first vintage of our estate’s Gewurztraminer Grand Cru Frankstein became available for tasting. An exceptional wine, produced on an exceptional terroir – and an exceptional vintage. Winner of a Gold Medal at its first participation in the World Gewurztraminer Awards.
All our barrels and vats are equipped with temperature controls. The grape juice is allowed to settle cold, and the temperature of the fermentation process is electronically monitored from start to finish. During bottling operations, the corking machine operates under vacuum, and the bottles are conveyed along a storage table to ensure optimum corking and a wine that keeps very well.
OPENING HOURS :
From Monday to Friday :
8.00h am to 12.00 and 1.00h pm to 7.00pm
8.00 am to 12.00 and 1.00 pm to 6.00 pm
-closed from Januay to April
-opened from May to Dezember :
10.00 am to 12.00 and 1.00 pm to 6.00 pm
– Foire de Saint-Brieuc (22), Du samedi 8 au Dimanche 16 Septembre 2018
– Salon des Vins de terroirs de Seclin (59), du Vendredi 2 au Lundi 5 Novembre 2018
– Salon Normand des Vins et Terroirs à Rouen (76), du Vendredi 9 au Dimanche 11 Novembre 2018
– Salon Saveurs des Régions à Jouy-en-Josas (92), du Vendredi 16 au Dimanche 18 Novembre 2018
– Salon Saveurs des Régions à BRON (69), du Vendredi 23 au Dimanche 25 Novembre 2018
– Dégustation à Saint-Georges de Montaigu (84), Dimanche 3 Novembre 2018
– Salon Saveurs des Régions sur la Péniche, Paris, du Vendredi 7 au Dimanche 9 Décembre 2018
– VinoVision – Paris, Portes de Versailles – du Lundi 11 au Mercredi 13 Février 2019
– Journées Gourmandes de Marsannay-la-Côte (21), Samedi 16 et Dimanche 17 Mars 2019
– ProWein : stand 11A09, à Düsseldorf (Germany), du Dimanche 17 au Mardi 19 Mars 2019
– Foire internationale de Rouen (76), du Vendredi 22 Mars au Dimanche 31 mars 2019
– Foire de Paris, Porte de Versailles, du Samedi 27 Avril au Mercredi 8 Mai 2019
– Salon des Vins et Terroirs à Seclin (59), du Vendredi 26 Avril au Lundi 29 avril 2019